Texas High Conflict Divorce Lawyers
Minimizing Stress in the Face of Conflict
A high conflict divorce can take a toll on you mentally and emotionally if you don’t have the right support. Our experienced attorneys can help you navigate the challenges of a high-conflict divorce.
High conflict divorces have a lot of emotion. There may be anger, a lack of trust, a desire to hurt the opposing party and/or a desire by your spouse to get revenge at any cost – emotionally and financially. However, it’s important that you keep calm and don’t engage with your spouse in a negative way, as it could impact the results of your divorce. This can be especially challenging if your divorce is high conflict because of the words and actions of your spouse. High conflict personalities drive many high-conflict divorces and knowing how to recognize them can help you with your strategy moving forward.
What Are Common Types of Personalities Involved in High Conflict Divorces?
A high conflict personality is typically someone that wants to be in control, has a preoccupation with blaming others, has an “all or nothing” mentality, and has a lack of emotional regulation. There are five common types of personalities that fall into this category:
- Narcissistic Personality – Narcissists are self-centered, arrogant, lack consideration for others, and need admiration;
- Borderline Personality – Borderline personalities are intense, have mood swings, and tend to blame others;
- Histrionic Personality – Histrionic personality’s self-esteem depends on the approval of others and they will often behave dramatically or inappropriately to get attention; and
- Paranoid Personality – Spouses with a paranoid personality have a deep lack of trust
- Antisocial Personality – Antisocial personalities have a lack of consciousness and morality
Divorce Strategies For a High Conflict Personality
Understanding how to deal with a high conflict personality can save you a lot of mental and emotional energy. Here are a few tips on how to interact with a high conflict personality:
- Recognize who you are dealing with and work with your attorney to follow a set strategy;
- Choose your language carefully and avoid divisive words;
- Don’t engage with combative behavior, no matter the level of anger expressed by your spouse; and
- Don’t be afraid to walk away if you need a moment to calm down or if your spouse is triggered in some manner.
One of the most important things to remember when dealing with a high conflict personality is understanding how your behavior and reactions can either minimize or escalate a high conflict interaction. A lawyer experienced in working with high-conflict personalities will provide you with the tools, strategy, and resources to assist you in achieving your desired outcome.
Benefits of Working with an Experienced High Conflict Divorce Lawyer
High conflict cases can be very damaging to a family, financially and emotionally. It’s important that you choose an experienced family law attorney who understands how to interact with a high conflict personality. Our experienced Austin, Dallas, and Plano family attorneys will provide guidance on helping you to achieve a strategic, constructive, and efficient resolution. Contact us to learn more.