A Smarter, Financially Responsible Divorce
I represent successful professionals, executives, business owners and their spouses who want their divorce to be handled in a financially responsible way. My clients have made wise financial decisions in other aspects of their life and want to do the same in divorce. My goal is to help clients find efficient and constructive solutions that will enable them to save money and maintain good working relationships in the future.
- Validate client feelings and help them to understand the logic of their decisions and where emotions can cloud good judgment.
- Active listening to deeply understand each client’s unique situation, goals, and challenges.
- Skillfully negotiating with opposing counsel to resolve cases with a reputation for honesty and integrity.
- Avoid unnecessary expenses that do not bring value through a planned approach to efficiently reach a resolution that preserves the client’s assets.
- Advocate for the client’s best interest, constructive resolution and always doing what is right.
- Legal Expertise: Tom is an experienced trial lawyer with 30 years of family law experience. He has been named Best Lawyers© Family Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Dallas/Fort Worth by Best Lawyers, named “Best Lawyers in Dallas: Family Law,” by D Magazine, and a “Top 100 Lawyer in Texas,” by Thomson Reuters. Tom brings specialized expertise to complex divorces, including complex compensation structures, property division, dealing with private business interests, separate property claims, business valuation, and child custody.
- Business Knowledge: Prior to being a lawyer, Tom worked for IBM. He has a B.B.A. degree in finance. As managing partner of the Plano office, Tom understands what it takes to build, manage, and sustain a business. In his personal life, Tom is also a problem solver and secured a patent for a pool filtration system.
- Other Highlights: Board Certified, Trained in Collaborative Law, Credentialed Mediator, Fellow of AAML. Tom has also authored and presented numerous articles on family issues, including legislative updates, discovery rule changes, and a commentary on child custody and property issues
Tom is an highly experienced, credentialed, and client-centered Dallas divorce lawyer working out of our Dallas/Plano office locations.
Outside of work, Tom has a passion for triathlons and Ironman competitions. There are many parallels to divorce and competitive triathlons including discipline, goal setting, mental toughness, follow through, and the need to control emotions. “In every race, just as in life, something will go wrong or happen unexpectedly—being able to recognize it is an opportunity to overcome and still achieve is the key.”
- Collaborative Divorce
- High Conflict Divorce
- Mental Health and Addiction in Divorce
- Negotiated Divorce
- Divorce Mediation
- High Net Worth Divorce
- Property Division
- Complex Property
- Dividing the Marital Home
- Characterization of Separate and Community Property
- Divorce for Business Owners
- Business Valuation in Divorce
- Divorce for Men
- Divorce for Women
- Child Support
- Child Custody
- Parenting Schedules
- Visitation Rights
- Becoming a Foster Parent
- Grandparent Visitation and Custody Rights in Texas
- Modification and Enforcement
- Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements
- Appealing a Divorce Decree or Judgment
- Alimony & Spousal Support Maintenance
- Litigated Divorce
- Flat-Fee Divorce
- Contested Divorce
- Uncontested Divorce
- Pre-Divorce Guidance
- Cohabitation Agreement
- Gray Divorce
- Modifying Child Support
Honors & Awards
- Named the Best Lawyers© Family Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Dallas, Woodward and White Press, 2018
- Selected to the “Best Lawyers in Dallas: Family Law”, D Magazine, 2002 – 2003, 2007-2009, and 2011 – 2012, 2018, 2022
- Selected to the “Best Personal Lawyers in Dallas: Family Law”, D Magazine, 2009
- Selected to the Texas Super Lawyers list, Thomson Reuters, 2003-2022
- Selected to the “Top 100: Texas Super Lawyers”, Thomson Reuters, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2017 – 2019, 2021-2022
- Selected to the “Top 100: Dallas/Fort Worth Super Lawyers”, Thomson Reuters, 2005, and 2008 – 2022
- Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Family Law, Woodward and White Press, 2005 – 2023
- Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Family Law Mediation, Woodward and White Press, 2023
- Selected for inclusion in the list of “Ten Leaders in Divorce Law Age 45 & Under – Dallas Forth Worth”, The Ten Leaders Cooperative, 2002 – 2012
- Presidential Citation for Outstanding Leadership, Dallas Bar Association, 2005
- AV Rating in Martindale-Hubbell
- How Does a Narcissist Behave During a Divorce? July 10, 2023
- How Much Does a Divorce Lawyer Cost? November 11, 2022
- Can I Spy on My Spouse if I Suspect They are Cheating? September 15, 2022
- What You Need to Know Before You File for Divorce from a Narcissist August 24, 2022
- Understanding the Cost of a Flat Fee Divorce July 13, 2022
- Seven FAQ’s About Drug Testing in Family Law Cases May 13, 2022
- Different Roles of a Mental Health Professional in Custody Cases May 11, 2022
- Preparation For Your Deposition And Court Testimony April 12, 2022
- Is Your Spouse Hiding Assets During Your Divorce? January 26, 2022
- The Divorce Journey: Taking the Responsible, Affordable Path November 9, 2021
- How to Prepare for Your Divorce Consultation August 9, 2021
- A Little Known Process for Divorce That Can Save You Money April 9, 2019
- 5 Tips for Dealing with High Conflict Personalities During Divorce January 24, 2019
- How will the Government Shutdown affect my Divorce? January 10, 2019
- What Do I Need to Do After My Divorce is Final? September 24, 2014
- Thomas Greenwald was recently quoted in an Associated Press Article, Divorce Dilemma: Texas Says Gays Can’t Get Divorced.
- Thomas Greenwald’s byline article, Divorce and the Stay-At-Home Mom, published by Huffington Post.
- Thomas Greenwald’s byline article, Finding a Family Law Attorney, published by Huffington Post.
Videos & Podcasts
- How Do You Deal with a High Conflict Divorce in Texas?
- How Do Mental Health Issues Impact Family Law Cases?
- What is a High-Conflict Personality?
- Is My Spouse Hiding Money?
- Dealing with a High Conflict Personality
- Does Your Spouse Have a High Conflict Personality?
- Forensic or Therapeutic? Differences Between Types of Mental Health Professionals
- Psychologists, Psychiatrists, and Counselors, Oh My! The Different Types of Mental Health Professionals
- Best Practices for Side Barring Emotion While Valuing Businesses During Divorce
- Recusal & Disqualification of Texas Judges, Advanced Family Law Course, State Bar of Texas, 2016
- What to Expect from Your Family Law Lawyer, Single Side Up! Single Parent Group, 2016
- Drug and Alcohol Issues: Handling Addicted Clients, Admissibility of Test Results, and Protection and Use of Records in Court, 40th Annual Advanced Family Law Course, State Bar of Texas 2014
- A Life of Significance, National Honor Society – Keynote Speaker, Lovejoy High School 2014
- How to Avoid Grievances, Malpractice Claims, and Breach of Fiduciary Claims, 39th Annual Advanced Family Law Course, State Bar of Texas, 2013
- Drug Testing – Use and Defense, 38th Annual Advanced Family Law Course, State Bar of Texas, 2012
- Article, Divorce and the Stay-At-Home Mom, published by Huffington Post.
- Article, Finding a Family Law Attorney, published by Huffington Post.
- TAFLS Trial Institute, Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists, 2011
- Collaborative Law and Premarital, Postmarital and Cohabitation Agreements, Collaborative Law Alliance of Collin County, 2010
- The Future of Premarital, Postmarital and Cohabitation Agreements, New Frontiers in Marital Property Law, Family Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, 2010
- Tom Greenwald was recently quoted in an Associated Press Article, Divorce dilemma: Texas Says Gays Can’t Get Divorced.
- Models of Effective Presentations and Visual Persuasion: The Effective Use of Trial Aids, Demonstrative Aids, and Summaries, Collin County Bench/Bar Conference, Collin County Bench Bar Foundation, 2009
- Models of Effective Presentations, Family Law on the Front Lines Conference, University of Texas School of Law, 2009
- Evidentiary and Discovery Issues in Family Law Cases, State Bar of Texas, 2009
- Building a Bridge in 20 Minutes or Less – Tips for an Effective 20 Minute Temporary Hearing, Collin County Bench Bar Conference, Collin County Bench Bar Foundation, 2008
- Depositions: The Devil is in the Details, New Jersey Lawyer, 2005
- Depositions, 30th Annual Advanced Family Law Course, State Bar of Texas, 2004
- Economic Contribution, Family Law on the Front Lines Conference, The University of Texas School of Law, 2004
- Default Divorce, Headnotes, Dallas Bar Association, 2004
- Uncontested Divorce, Headnotes, Dallas Bar Association, 2004
- Preparing Clients for Depositions, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2003
- Decrees and Orders, 29th Annual Advanced Family Law Course, Boot Camp, State Bar of Texas, 2003
- Expert Deposition and Trial Preparation – Custody Issues in Texas, Lorman Education Services, 2003
- Legislative Update, Family Law Section, Dallas Bar Association, 2001
- Discovery Problems, 26th Annual Advanced Family Law Course, State Bar of Texas, 2000
- Preparing for the Family Law Specialization Exam, 26th Annual Advanced Family Law Course, State Bar of Texas, 2000
- Legislative Update, Family Law Section, Dallas Bar Association, 1999
- Preparing for the Family Law Specialization Exam, 25th Annual Advanced Family Law Course, State Bar of Texas, 1999
- Revised Texas Civil Discovery Rules, Texas Family Law Practice for Paralegals, Half Moon LLC, 1999
- A Guide to the New Texas Rules of Civil Discovery, Family Law Section, Dallas Bar Association, 1999
- Preparing for the Family Law Specialization Exam, 24th Annual Advanced Family Law Course, State Bar of Texas, 1998
- Rebutting the JMC Presumption – What the Judge Must Hear, 24th Annual Advanced Family Law Course, State Bar of Texas, 1998
- Family Law Case Update, Family Law Section, Dallas Bar Association, 1998
- Legislative Update, Family Law Section, Dallas Bar Association, 1997
- Peoples’ Law School, Peoples’ Law School Committee, Dallas Bar Association, 1997
- Family Law Legislative Update, Family Law Section, Dallas Bar Association, 1997
- Family Law and Proposed Legislation, Plano Independent Child Care Association, 1997
- Offensive Use of Collateral Witnesses in a Relocation Case, Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists, 1997
- Basic Pleadings in Family Law Cases, Pro Bono Family Law Training, Dallas Bar Association, 1996
- Transfer Documents – From Aircraft to Zebras, Advanced Family Law Course for Legal Assistants and Other Legal Professionals, State Bar of Texas, 1996
- Courthouse Decorum, Courthouse Policy and Attorney Ethics, Family Law Section Bench-Bar Conference, Dallas Bar Association, 1996
- The Cutting Edge of Reimbursement, 18th Annual Marriage Dissolution Institute, State Bar of Texas, 1996
- Family Law Case Update, Family Law Section, Dallas Bar Association, 1996
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- American Bar Association, Dispute Resolution, Family Law, Litigation Section
- Christian Trial Lawyers Association
- Collaborative Divorce Texas (f/k/a Collaborative Law Institute of Texas)
- Member, 2012
- Collin County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Collin County Bench Bar Foundation
- Committee for a Qualified Judiciary
- Curt B. Henderson American Inn of Court
- Dallas Bar Association, ADR and Family Law Section
- Dallas Bar Foundation
- Featured on ChristianLawyers.com
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists
- Texas Bar Foundation
- Life Fellow
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization Family Law Advisory Commission
- Texas Collaborative Lawyers
- Texas Family Law Foundation
- Texas Tech University School of Law, 1992
- J.D., Law
- University of Wisconsin, 1987
- B.B.A., Finance
- Texas, 1992
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas