Constructive Solutions for Complex Family Law Matters
Jonathan James on Your Family and Your Future:
I represent business owners, professionals, and parents who want to resolve complex family law matters in the least destructive manner possible. While managing all aspects of family law, I offer particular strengths with cases involving complicated property and challenging real estate investments, contested custody disputes and modifications, and pre-marital and post-marital agreements. Whether in the courtroom or through out-of-court settlement, my goal is to protect children from the conflict of divorce and preserve financial assets for the future.
- Customize a plan for each client that considers the unique and dynamic factors of their situation.
- Serve clients with an unmatched work ethic, integrity, and thorough preparation to achieve the best possible outcome.
- Use Collaborative Divorce, mediation, negotiation, or litigation—whichever approach best meets clients’ needs.
- Synthesize and explain complex legal issues to empower clients to make informed decisions throughout their case.
- Educate and prepare clients for each step of the process, so they feel more in control and secure about their future.
Jonathan is a highly skilled litigator and negotiator in high-conflict legal situations who consistently receives praise from clients for his integrity, professionalism, and responsiveness. Board-Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in family law, Jonathan is a member of the State Bar of Texas. Additionally, he is trained in Collaborative Divorce and has been named a Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2019-2022 and Best Lawyer 2020-2021 & 2023 by The Best Lawyers in America.
Jonathan invests his time doing pro bono work for victims of domestic violence in partnership with Genesis Women’s Shelter & Support and Emily’s Place. He is a member of the Annette Stewart Inn of Court and the Dallas Bar Association Family Law Section. Jonathan also frequently writes on numerous family law topics for the Texas Bar Journal, the Dallas Bar Association Headnotes, and the State Bar of Texas Family Law Section.
Jonathan is a Dallas divorce lawyer working out of our Dallas/Plano office locations.
Born and raised in Plano, Texas, Jonathan attended Canyon Creek Christian Academy. After completing his undergraduate degree at Baylor University, he attended Texas Wesleyan School of Law (now Texas A&M School of Law) in Fort Worth.
Jonathan and his wife Emily are high school sweethearts and have two sons and a daughter. When not consuming content from numerous podcasts, articles, and the news, Jonathan is an active member of his church and enjoys participating in community service projects, trivia nights, playing golf, and playing bass guitar on the worship team.
Honors & Awards
Rising Star, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2019-2022
The Best Lawyers in America©, Woodward White Press, 2020-2021 & 2023
- Who Typically Gets the House in a Texas Divorce and What to do if You Want to Keep the House April 24, 2023
- Five Important Tips Before You File for Divorce November 16, 2022
- Pre-Marital and Post-Marital Agreements: The Gold Standard for Protecting Assets October 3, 2022
- What An Experienced Attorney Brings to Your High Net Worth Divorce July 20, 2022
- What Happens to Debt in Divorce? April 7, 2022
- Five Tips to Protect and Maintain Your Separate Property in Divorce March 29, 2022
- Who Gets the House in Divorce? September 29, 2021
Co-Author, “Five Tips to Protect and Maintain Your Separate Property”, Dallas Bar Association Headnotes, September 2019.
Author, “Right of First Refusal in Custody Cases”, State Bar of Texas, Family Law Section Report, Volume 2017-6 (Winter).
Author, “Custody Fight: When Grandparents or Other Relatives Seek Parental Rights”, Texas Bar Journal, November 2017
Author, “Kid Duty: The Right of First Refusal in Custody Cases and How it Can Backfire”, Texas Bar Journal, July 2017.
Videos & Podcasts
Annette Stewart American Inn of Court, Member Collin County Bar Association, Member
Dallas Bar Association, Member
Dallas Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member State Bar of Texas, Member
State Bar of Texas, Family Law Section, Member
Doctor of Jurisprudence/Juris Doctor (J.D.), Texas Wesleyan School of Law, Texas 2012
B.A., Baylor University, Political Science, 2009
- State Bar of Texas, 2012
- Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Family Law, 2020