Empowering, educating, and guiding clients to achieve the most advantageous outcome.
Clients can count on me to be straightforward, honest, and compassionate. I approach each client’s unique story with genuine curiosity, offering guidance to navigate the best path forward. My goal is to help clients acquire the tools they need to begin the next chapter of their lives successfully. When clients need me most, I’m a dedicated advocate, giving my all.
My interest in helping families was inspired by work with vulnerable children at an early education agency in college. Family law became the obvious fit for me as a means of bettering the trajectory of children and families when legal issues arise. I support my clients in working constructively with their spouses, while also putting orders and other tools in place to ensure safe relationships and effective co-parenting. I have extensive experience in assisting victims of trauma and violence—both adults and children—and am adept at helping clients set and achieve realistic goals.
- Provide clients with guidance and structure to help them envision what their future will look like after divorce.
- Create legal strategies and set realistic expectations to help clients achieve what is truly important to them without prolonging conflict.
- Assure clients they are not walking this path alone. I am by their side to get them through this challenging time with the support, advocacy, and legal knowledge they need.
- Educate clients about their legal issues so they feel equipped to make sound decisions and work constructively with their spouses.
Experience and Professional Credentials
Karen brings an impressive background to Goranson Bain Ausley, reflecting her family law experience, education, and the early years of her career. She graduated cum laude from Howard University, then received her law degree from Syracuse University College of Law, during which time she interned at the United States Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. and the City Attorney’s Office in Alexandria, Virginia. Karen began her career working for nonprofit agencies, including Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid, Equal Justice Works, Crime Victims Justice Corps Fellow (Mosaic Family Services), Legal Aid of Northwest Texas Family Unit, and the City Attorney’s Office for the City of Dallas. She joins Goranson Bain Ausley from a private practice where she served as the solo family law associate.
In her free time Karen stays active, playing tennis, swimming, walking, and hiking trails, devoting time to friends and family, and mentoring future JD candidates. She loves travel, exploring new places, meeting new people, and appreciating art.
- Divorce for Women
- Divorce for Men
- Amicable Divorce
- Parenting Schedules
- Visitation Rights
- LGBTQ+ Parenting Rights
- Mental Health and Addiction in Divorce
- Complex Property
- Grandparent Visitation and Custody Rights in Texas
- Modification and Enforcement
- Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements
- Characterization of Separate and Community Property
- Business Valuation in Divorce
- Becoming a Foster Parent
- Modifying Child Support
- Cohabitation Agreement
- Appealing a Divorce Decree or Judgment
- Pre-Divorce Guidance
- High Conflict Divorce
- LGBTQ+ Divorce
- Uncontested Divorce
- Negotiated Divorce
- Collaborative Divorce
Syracuse University College of Law, Syracuse, NY, May 2016
- Juris Doctor
- Seeley Johnson Award Recipient
- Pro Bono and Community Service Award Recipient
Howard University, Washington, DC, July 2012
- Bachelor of Science, Psychology
State Bar of Texas, May 2017
- Trained Alternative Dispute Resolution Mediator, New York State