Resolve Complex Cases Constructively
Katie Samler on Doing What’s Best for Clients:
I represent goal-oriented individuals who aim to resolve complex matters. They value constructive and creative approaches that protect children, preserve the relationship with their co-parent, and prioritize vital short- and long-term goals. Whether I am working with executives with complex property division or compensation structures, LGBTQ families, or high-wage professionals and their spouses, I guide them through the process to protect them, their interests, and futures.
- Craft a customized goal-oriented approach that delivers peace of mind and confidence about the future.
- Facilitate good, grounded, well-informed decisions that achieve long-term interests.
- Unwind complex estates without unnecessary financial or emotional costs.
- Keep matters from escalating and adding cost and difficulty.
- Apply creative thinking and ideas—from start to finish—to achieve the best possible outcome.
Katie is an experienced family lawyer trained in family law mediation and collaborative law. She is a member of Collaborative Divorce Dallas, has been named to D Magazine’s Top Lawyers Under 40 for three consecutive years, and is recognized as a Super Lawyers Rising Star. Board Certified in Family Law, she is known for constructive and creative resolution of cases. Her skills include resolving cases that have complex layers including personality disorders, addiction issues, parental alienation, complex property division, and division of retirement plans. Katie has authored numerous articles and presented on family law issues, including collaborative law, custody litigation, high conflict personality disorders, parental alienation and commentary on tracing and characterization issues.
She is a parent of two elementary school-aged children. Outside of practicing law, Katie enjoys spending time with her friends and family, traveling, and volunteering in her children’s schools and community.
- Complex Property
- Property Division
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Alimony & Spousal Support Maintenance
- Cohabitation Agreement
- High Net Worth Divorce
- Contested Divorce
- Uncontested Divorce
- LGBTQ+ Divorce
- Negotiated Divorce
- Litigated Divorce
- Collaborative Divorce
- High Conflict Divorce
- Pre-Divorce Guidance
- Appealing a Divorce Decree or Judgment
- Divorce for Business Owners
- Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements
- Modification and Enforcement
Honors & Awards
- 20 Under 40, People Newspapers, 2020
- Best Lawyers Under 40, D Magazine, 2018 – 2020
- Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Family Law, Woodward and White Press, 2018 – 2022
- Selected to the Texas Rising Star list, Thomson Reuters, 2014 – 2020
- Up-and-Coming 100: Texas Rising Stars List, Thomson Reuters, 2017 – 2020
- Up-and-Coming 50: Women Texas Rising Stars List, Thomson Reuters, 2017 – 2020
- Options for Becoming Parents in a Texas Same-Sex Marriage February 18, 2021
- 40 Online Resources for Families with Children April 7, 2020
- Is a 50/50 Possession Schedule Right for Me? May 15, 2017
- Same-Sex Marriage…and Divorce May 2, 2016
- Married or Not Married, That is the Question: Common Law Marriage in Texas August 26, 2014
- High Conflict Family Law Matters and Personality Disorders March 7, 2014
- “How to Draw Clients to the Collaborative Model and Keep Them Satisfied“, Collaborative Law: Avoid Breaking Bad When Breaking Up, State Bar of Texas, 2019
- “Defending the Accused”, Innovations: Breaking Boundaries in Custody Litigation, State Bar of Texas, 2019
- “Navigating Your Family Law Matter When Someone with a Personality Disorder is Involved“, Advanced Family Law Course, State Bar of Texas, 2018
- Co-Author with Beth Maultsby, High Conflict Family Law Matters and Personality Disorders, Advanced Family Law Course, State Bar of Texas, 2013
- Direct and Cross of a Tracing Expert, Advanced Family Law Course, State Bar of Texas, 2016
- Direct and Cross of a Tracing Expert (including Characterization Issues), Advanced Family Law Course, State Bar of Texas, 2017
Videos & Podcasts
- Going Through A Divorce? Advice From A Dallas Divorce Attorney
- In-Person Versus Remote Education: What Co-Parents Need to Know
- “Steering Through Parental Alienation Hurricanes: Myriad Concerns and Mistaken IDs“ with Richard Warshak, Ph.D., Dallas Bar Association Family Law Section Bench Bar, 2021.
- “The Future of Future Support – Alimony and Spousal Maintenance“ with Diana S. Friedman and Sarah Clower Keathley, Advanced Family Law Course, State Bar of Texas, 2020.
- 35th TAFLS Annual Trial Institute, Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists, Faculty, 2020.
- “Collaborative Law Practice”, Dallas Area Paralegal Association, Family Law Section, Co-Presenter 2019
- “Evidence 101 for Family Lawyers”, Family and Veterans Advocacy Clinic, Texas A&M University School of Law, 2019
- “High Conflict Family Law Matters, Personality Disorders, and the Effects on Parenting and Children’s Experiences”, Innovations: Breaking Boundaries in Custody Litigation, State Bar of Texas, 2018
- “Family Law for Real Estate Professionals”, 2018
- “Tracing Demonstration”, Tarrant County Family Law Bar Association, Advanced Family Law on a Shoestring, 2017
- “Tracing Demonstration”, 43rd Annual Course Advanced Family Law, 2017
- Co-Presenter with Laurel Arnold Clement, Taking Notes and Testifying in Courts, Dallas Metro Counseling Association, 2010
- Co-Presenter with Laurel Arnold Clement, “Legal and Ethical Issues Dealing with Divorced Families and Stepfamilies, Ethics Seminar for Dallas Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, 2009
- Co-Presenter with Laurel Arnold Clement, Eldorado, A Case Study: Duties of an Attorney Ad Litem, Dallas Bar Association and North Dallas Bar Association, 2008
- Annette Stewart American Inn of Court
- Associate Member
- Collaborative Divorce Texas (f/k/a Collaborative Law Institute of Texas)
- Collin County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Collin County Young Lawyers Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
- Dallas Bar Association, Family Law Section
- State Bar of Texas, Family Law Section
- Texas Family Law Foundation
- Legacy Family Court Foundation
- Grants Committee Chair
- St. Mary’s University School of Law, 2007
- J.D., Law
- Baylor University, 2004
- B.A., Speech Communications
- Texas, 2007
Board Certified in Family Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2019