Your Best Interests Protected, Today and Tomorrow
I represent high-asset, educated, savvy individuals who want to protect what they have built over a lifetime and avoid destruction of business or personal assets in divorce. My clients include professionals, business owners, C-suite executives and their spouses. I work to explain the range of potential outcomes to help clients understand their options and choose the best course of action. My goal is to help clients and their children achieve the best possible results and take care of life’s most important things.
- Focus on settlement with exceptional skill and perspective while leveraging and utilizing deep litigation and extensive courtroom experience when appropriate.
- Put clients at ease with a structured approach to the process and to making decisions—this relieves stress and helps clients see a positive path forward.
- Generate options and deliver guidance that empowers clients to make informed, rational and economically-sound decisions.
- Encourage clients to choose their priorities with a big picture perspective and not get bogged down in frivolous matters.
- Deliver more productive outcomes by treating clients, opposing counsel, opposing parties, and the judiciary with dignity and respect.
Rob is a top Austin divorce lawyer at Goranson Bain Ausley.
An experienced family lawyer and partner, Rob is board-certified in family law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and is a Director of the Austin Bar Association. Named in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Family Law, 2019 – 2023, Rob has an extensive litigation history and seasoned track record. A tireless advocate for his clients, Rob excels in complex custody cases and managing the complexities of high asset property division.
- Successfully negotiated multimillion-dollar settlement with complicated restricted stock units without litigation.
- Achieved protective order for wife in a complex multi-state, multi-jurisdiction domestic violence matter.
- Confirmed the business my client started was awarded to her in the divorce settlement, allowing her to continue building the business she created during the marriage.
Rob is an active Christian (Episcopalian), which is often a comfort to clients who share his faith, though he is happy representing any person of any faith or of no faith at all. Raised in Austin, he knows the city well. Rob is involved in Bible study, Leaders for Literacy; activities at St. Michael’s Episcopal Church and youth sports. A Westlake native, Rob comes from a family of lawyers with a lineage going back to his great grandfather and is proud to be in the company of excellent lawyers at Goranson Bain Ausley. He is a family man and lives in Austin with his wife and three children.
- Litigated Divorce
- High Net Worth Divorce
- Divorce for Business Owners
- Business Valuation in Divorce
- Property Division
- Complex Property
- Characterization of Separate and Community Property
- Dividing the Marital Home
- Child Custody
- Child Support
- Modification and Enforcement
- Parenting Schedules
- Visitation Rights
- LGBTQ+ Parenting Rights
- Divorce for Men
- Divorce for Women
- Mental Health and Addiction in Divorce
- Becoming a Foster Parent
- Grandparent Visitation and Custody Rights in Texas
- Alimony & Spousal Support Maintenance
- Cohabitation Agreement
- LGBTQ+ Divorce
- Uncontested Divorce
- Contested Divorce
- Negotiated Divorce
- Appealing a Divorce Decree or Judgment
- Pre-Divorce Guidance
- High Conflict Divorce
- Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Director for the 2021-2022 Bar Year by the Austin Bar Association
- Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Family Law, Woodward and White Press, 2019 – 2023
- Inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers list, Thomson Reuters, 2021 & 2022
- Tax Implications of Dividing Business Assets During a Divorce September 13, 2023
- High-Net-Worth Divorce Issues: Common Concerns When Allocating Assets April 3, 2023
- Divorce and Business Ownership: How Planning Can Protect Your Business June 23, 2022
- What Happens to an LLC in Divorce? December 9, 2021
- Can My Spouse Take Half of My Business in Divorce? March 8, 2021
- Role of the Custody Evaluator in Travis County SAPCRs November 4, 2019
Videos & Podcasts
- Austin Bar Association
- Board of Directors, 2019 – 2020
- Austin Bar Association, Bench Bar
- Planning Committee member
- Lawyers for Literacy
- Committee member
- St. Mary’s University School of Law, 2009
- J.D., Law- Honors
- Cum laude
- The University of Texas at Austin, 2001
- B.S., Communications, Radio – Television – Film
- Texas, 2009