Back to Learning Center


Specialty tag(s): Modification and Enforcement

The Final Divorce Decree is Not Etched in Stone

Esther R. Donald | September 8, 2015

A great deal of thought and compromise goes into the development of a Texas divorce decree. However, obtaining a signed “Final Decree of Divorce” does not guarantee that the legal proceedings are over once and for all. Our Courts retain jurisdiction over the case, and over the conservatorship and support of your children, long after the original divorce proceeding is concluded.

When either party fails to meet the obligations set forth in that decree, state law provides a means to petition the Court to enforce those terms. The Texas Family Code also provides a means for post-Decree modifications if it can be established that such changes are justified by the law and in the best interest of the parties’ children.

There are any number of situations that can arise which might make it permanently or temporarily impossible for one or both parties to meet the requirements of the divorce decree. Each Austin divorce attorney at Goranson Bain Ausley stresses the importance of going through the proper legal modification process to protect the entire family from future turmoil.

Avoid the Temptation of Informally Bypassing Divorce Terms

Most lives change over time, and it is reasonable to expect any number of changes after divorce, such as the following:

  • A job loss that prevents a spouse from paying child support.
  • A major salary increase that justifies increased child support.
  • The need for an out-of-state move by a parent with primary custody.
  • Interests or activities of the children that necessitate changes in the possession schedule and other elements of the initial parenting plan.

In some cases, ex-spouses who do not get along attempt to take the law into their own hands. They may try to enforce the terms of their divorce by taking actions to equalize perceived slights. For example, the custodial mother might refuse scheduled visitation when the father falls behind in child support payments. Just as often, however, exes have good relationships, so they decide they can informally agree to changes. This might be the case when a parent agrees to temporarily reduce or waive child support payments from the parent who just lost a job.

But what happens when that parent finds another job that pays twice the salary of the lost job? The chances are that neither parent predicted such an event. Maybe the newly-employed parent wants to stick with the original agreement, possibly without repaying the unpaid child support.

Informal friendly agreements are seldom contractually sound. Courts do not recognize such changes any more than a unilateral change made out of malice. In either case, ex-spouses can find themselves facing the wrath of a judge or otherwise “losing out” if the other party decides to renege on the “agreement” and take the matter to court.

Keeping it Legal Always Makes Sense

Granted, rare circumstances may require instant action, as might be the case when a custodial parent fears for the safety of the children in the hands of the other parent. Even in those situations, however, a call to a knowledgeable family law attorney can immediately set you on the path to legally-justified actions, and help you obtain the necessary court orders to protect your children and your interests.

Whenever you require a change to your Final Decree of Divorce, contact Goranson Bain Ausley to learn the steps needed to pursue a legally-acceptable modification.

Popular Family Law Articles

Uncontested Divorce in Texas FormsCo-Parenting Through DivorceWhat Rights Do Step-Parents Have in Texas
Owelty16 Year Old Doesn’t Want to Visit FatherChild Support Cap in Texas
Can You Get Spousal Support in TexasDivorce in Texas CostHow to Pick a Good Divorce Attorney
Tips for Testifying in Family CourtIs Texas a 50/50 State for DivorceDo They Drug Test You at Court
Are Video Recordings Admissible in Family CourtPrimary Custody TexasKids and Divorce

Services to Help Solve Your Challenges

Our attorneys are experienced in all aspects of family law and will guide you through each step of the process, ensuring you have the information you need to make wise decisions and prepare for the future.

Get in Touch

At Goranson Bain Ausley, we strive to deliver clarity about what comes next and confidence that you and your family’s future are more secure. Contact our team and discover how we can help you.

“Divorces don’t settle out of weakness. The strongest advocates use compassion, skill, and strategy to help their clients solve family law disputes outside the courtroom.”

Request A Consultation


Sarah Aminzadeh Milinsky

How is Child Support Calculated in Texas?

Attorney Sarah Aminzadeh Milinksy discusses how different possession schedules affect the calculation of child support in Texas.


P. Lindley Bain

6 Ways To Protect Your Credit in Divorce

Partner Lindley Bain shares six tips on how to protect your credit during the divorce process.


Curtis W. Harrison

Collaborative Divorce Doesn’t Promote Divorce

As a believing Christian I am often confronted with the question, “How do you do what you do while claiming…


A female real estate agent and a young woman talking at the front door of a home

Clayton Bryant

Home Equity and Your Divorce: What You Need to Know

Choosing what happens to your marital home in divorce is one of the most important decisions you make when dividing property.


Kathryn J. Murphy

How To Tell Your Children You Are Getting Divorced: 5 Tips

Kathryn J. Murphy shares her top five tips on how to talk to your children about your divorce.


Mother hugging her child

Chandler Rice Winslow

What Choices Do You Have in Texas When Divorce Is Not an Option?

Attorney Chandler Rice Winslow discusses the options available to couples who have decided they are not considering divorce.

Related Resources