Back to Learning Center


Specialty tag(s): Complex Property, Characterization of Separate and Community Property, Property Division, Divorce

How Do You Divide Restricted Stock Units in a Divorce?

Katie Flowers Samler | April 3, 2024

When you get a divorce, it’s likely that shares of stock you own will become part of the pool of assets to be divided with your spouse. But what happens to restricted stock units you’ve earned from your employer? The answer is that RSUs are generally treated the same as stock.

First, you’ll need to determine whether your RSUs are community property or separate property. Answering this question can be tricky, so it’s important to consult an experienced divorce attorney to make sure that your assets are characterized correctly. If the RSUs are characterized as separate property, you won’t need to share them with your spouse, but if they’re community property, they’ll need to be divided.

If you do need to divide up your RSUs, vested units will be split up like regular stock; either you’ll both get an equal amount of units, or one of you will buy out the other’s interest. If you have unvested RSUs, you’ll need to agree on a fair value for them, them divide them the same way.

If you need help navigating the complexities of property division in your divorce, the knowledgeable attorneys at Goranson Bain Ausley can help. Contact our Texas family law firm today to set up a consultation.

Services to Help Solve Your Challenges

Our attorneys are experienced in all aspects of family law and will guide you through each step of the process, ensuring you have the information you need to make wise decisions and prepare for the future.

Get in Touch

At Goranson Bain Ausley, we strive to deliver clarity about what comes next and confidence that you and your family’s future are more secure. Contact our team and discover how we can help you.

“Divorce can happen to anyone. I guide clients through the process, protecting them, their interests and their goals.”

Request A Consultation


man signing documents in an office

Thomas A. Greenwald

How Can I Protect My Children’s Inheritance in a Divorce?

Discover what measures you can take to ensure that your children’s inheritance is protected from a divorce settlement.


woman sitting on floor with moving boxes and a checklist

Jonathan James

What Are My Rights if I Leave the Marital Home? Problems With Moving Out Before Divorce

In this blog, learn why moving out of the marital home before a divorce may be a disadvantage to you in certain divorce situations.

Latest Resources

Lets's Get Started

Pay Online



Fort Worth




Tarrant County