Back to Learning Center


Specialty tag(s): Child Support

Does a Parent Have to Pay Child Support if He or She Loses Their Job During this Crisis?

Lindsey Obenhaus | May 14, 2020

In this video, Dallas attorney, Lindsey Obenhaus explains how if a parent loses his or her job and is unable to pay child support, the child support obligation still continues until such time as that parent has filed a petition to modify child support and a judge has ruled on the issue. The filing of a modification is the date that a court may consider for modifying support, so it is imperative that a parent file as soon as possible after losing his or her job.  However, even after the petition is filed, the obligation to pay continues until a court makes a ruling, which may be some time from the initial filing. During this in between period, a parent should continue to pay child support, or at the very least, as much as possible, to avoid an enforcement order after the Courts reopen and address this issue.

Lindsey answers more questions regarding child support and financial hardship during the time of COVID-19 in her blog, Job Loss & Child Support During COVID.


The answer is that child support will still accrue until not only a parent has filed the modification, but a court has ruled on a modification. So, a parent should act quickly to try to reduce their child support obligation as soon as possible.

It’s important to get in touch with your attorney or your local Attorney General’s office to file that suit because the date that you file is the operative date that a court could retroactively reduce your child support amount. It’s also important to look at your underlying decree or child custody order because a lot of those have notice requirements. So, if your employer changes, or your address or income changes, you may have a duty not only to notify the other co-parent but a duty to notify the court, and possibly the Attorney General’s office as well.

It’s important, in these situations, to get in touch with a family law attorney as soon as possible to get advice about what to do if you’re ordered to pay child support right now.

if you have any questions regarding job loss and child support, please contact Lindsey Obenhaus at 214-373-7676.

Services to Help Solve Your Challenges

Our attorneys are experienced in all aspects of family law and will guide you through each step of the process, ensuring you have the information you need to make wise decisions and prepare for the future.

Get in Touch

At Goranson Bain Ausley, we strive to deliver clarity about what comes next and confidence that you and your family’s future are more secure. Contact our team and discover how we can help you.

“My goal in every case is to maximize results for my clients so they can move forward successfully with the next chapter in their lives.”

Request A Consultation


Jeff Domen

Co-Parenting Advice for Christians Going through a Divorce 

Goranson Bain Ausley attorney, Jeff Domen, offers co-parenting insights for Christians going through a divorce.


Woman lawyer talking to client

Lindsey Obenhaus

Divorce Mediator vs. Attorney: Which Do You Need?

In this article, we discuss whether divorce mediation is the right direction for your family law case.

Latest Resources

Lets's Get Started

Pay Online



Fort Worth